This programme is being delivered by the Health Care Assistants at Kensington Partnership.
It is for patients who have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of more than 34, who are not diabetic and who are not already on an intensive lifestyle change programme (ILCP).
The course is made up of 6 sessions over the course of 10 weeks.
As part of the programme patients are being provided with:
- A pedometer (to record the number of steps taken each day)
- A Personal Health Action Plan Diary
- Information leaflets (including on portion sizes, the Eat Well Plate, healthy recipes, and sugar, salt and fat intake)
- Vouchers for either Slimming World or Weight Watchers
- BEEP referrals (for patients who want to join a gym)
- A water bottle
The programme includes discussions on healthy eating, physical activity and overcoming barriers to a healthy lifestyle. Patients are supported in setting and achieving their goals.
The practice has invested in a new BMI measurement machine for patients to use as part of the programme.